Last updated on 12/12/2022
This document (together with our Terms & Conditions and any other documents referred to in it) outlines the policy regarding the collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal data Linguamedia Ltd. (also referred to as ”we”, “our”, “us”) collects or receives from the users of www.linguamedia.co.uk and any of our affiliated websites, including but not limited to www.firstrussianbooks.co.uk (each “Website”, together the “Websites”).
We process personal information to enable us to produce and distribute printed and digital content, promote our services; maintain our accounts and records; support and manage our resources.
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Please read the following carefully to understand our rules and practices regarding your personal data and how it is processed. By using the Website, you consent to the collection, storage, and use of information in accordance with this policy.
When do we collect information about you?
We may collect data when you are:
- registering to use our Websites;
- subscribing to a service provided by us;
- purchasing publications through our Website or our distribution partner;
- posting material on or to our Website;
- requesting further services;
- entering a competition or promotion sponsored by us;
- reporting a problem with our Website;
- completing an optional survey.
What kind of information do we collect from you?
We process information relating to the above activities. This may include:
- personal details (name, address, sensitive classes of information that may include mental and
- physical health details);
- family details;
- education and employment details;
- financial details;
- goods or services provided;
- text of articles and information relevant to the publication.
We process personal information about:
- our customers and clients;
- professional advisers and consultants;
- suppliers and service providers;
- complainants, enquirers;
- subjects of publication.
We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themself and also with other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA). What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- family, associates and representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing;
- healthcare, social and welfare organisations;
- educators and examining bodies;
- suppliers and service providers;
- financial organisations;
- traders in personal data;
- trade associations;
- employment and recruitment agencies;
- business associates;
- other companies in the same group.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to improve your user experience by ensuring that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for your technical setup;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you where you have agreed to be contacted for such purposes;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- to inform you about changes to our services;
- in order to comply with any of our legal and regulatory obligations.
Newsletters from LinguaMedia.co.uk are optional, which means that you will not be sent any newsletters unless you specifically request them. Our newsletters also contain simple instructions for quickly discontinuing your subscription should you wish to do so.
You will not receive marketing communications from us unless you have agreed to receive them. We may, however, contact you from time to time as necessary with information or queries about your registration, your purchases and/or your postings.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or acquire any business (in whole or in part) or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such and may sell and transfer personal data collected through the site in connection with and pursuant to the sale of any such business or assets;
- if LinguaMedia Ltd. or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- to the extent necessary to enable us to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; to operate our systems properly; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of LinguaMedia Ltd., its subsidiaries, affiliates, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You can update your personal information in Your Account section of the Website at any time.
Our site is accessible via the World Wide Web and can be accessed by anyone around the globe. Users from outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) may access the site. If you choose to post your data on our site, it could be viewed by anyone around the world and therefore a transfer of your data outside of the EEA may be deemed to have occurred. You consent to such transfer of your data for and by way of this purpose.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
The transmission of information via the internet is never completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Links to third-party websites
This Policy covers the practices of data collection only on our Websites. Any websites, including but not limited to our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates, accessed through the links present within the content are bound by their respective policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. You are strongly encouraged to read them prior to using those websites and/or submitting any personal data to them.